Monday 6 April 2009

Ben Shading Not working


Well my random animal drawing for today was a Rhino which went ok. I'm trying to go to the limits of my new style, with the number of pixel system. Anyway, my ben304 shading wasn't going that well with this fella. So I stole the palette from Ben's example. Because, well Im struggling with blue as the main colour. I mean I tried green, yellow, orange, red, pink and purple as the secondary colour but it still didn't work. So with ben's colours it looks a bit better, but still its Meh!

I dunno if it is my shading, but I don't think so. 

2 comments:

Ben304 said...

If I could make a single suggestion here, it would be to try drawing smaller. When creating a character, you want it to attract people's attention. In order to do this, I usually have the character a lot more detailed than the background.

Big shapes are very hard to detail with such a limited palette without resorting to dithering. And dithering, whilst often effective, is labour intensive and monotonous. In the time you finish a single dithered image, you could have done 2 non dithered images!

I'd suggest cutting the size and upping the amount of detail. Big empty spaces are hard to cover - I noticed your dinosaur had a lot of big empty spaces as well :). Why don't you try drawing a person - the fact that they wear clothes means you can use a lot of tones in a small space, which make them interesting to look at!

Not that the rhino is bad, mind you, but I just think you're making things hard for yourself!

IndieBoy said...

You're right Ben! I'm trying to go too far with new ideas and aplying unfamliar techniques. I did think to start small but I mean I think I can show a lot more character through a bit larger sprites. But I understand what you are saying.

Shading for me is difficult and I'm trying to apply new colour techniques and limits without working on the basic shading first.

But from what I've learned so far I think I'm imroving. Just as you say I didn't add any details, so it didnt work out right.


I'll try again :P