Wednesday 15 April 2009

Gah Big is Better?

Well guys I thought I shal post something that I spent a while on. I don't think Iv spent so long on a walkcycle before, maybe 4hours tops. And I'm still not happy with it but a the moment its done. So I woner whatyou  guys think? I tried to make him ratio wise correct hence the size of him, but still comical and my own take on  the human form. 

Now Im wondering if I should try to reedit this guy with Ben's shading, but still he is a big 100px guy in a 320*240 world. 

Well this guy is mean't to be evil, and there is a reason behind why I worked on this guy for so long but that can't wait for another post. 

3 comments:

Ben304 said...

I think it looks pretty good! Really dig the head design, that's super stylish :).

I've been meaning to do a tutorial on walkcycles for a while now for my blog, but here's a small piece of advice I learnt from watching myself walk, and this is a mistake I used to make all the time:

When he walks, his feet are lifted up quite high. This is fine if animating stomping, but when we walk normally down the street, our feet stay very close to the ground at all times. It might seem a little confusing when looking at an animation with feet close to the ground frame by frame, but when it is all put together it really does look quite natural. Go for a walk and try and walk as naturally as possible whilst watching your feet. But don't run into anything ;).

Also, learning to do walkcycles might be the hardest part of learning basic adventure game animation. I used to get home from work, sit down and be pleased if I could bang out more than a single walkcycle for a character - and a crappy walkcycle at that. Now I can generally get the walkcycle I want in half an hour or so.

Looks good, and I look forward to hearing about your new game! (This is for a new game, right? ;))

Ben304 said...

I really shouldn't double post but there's no modify button :P

Just because a picture tells a thousand words, here's a quick walkcycle I drew up the other day.

http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/6016/walkleft.gif

See how close the feet are to the ground? It's not the greatest walkcycle ever, but it should illustrate my point clearly :).

SSH said...

He needs a bob, too